Friday, June 23, 2006

And off he went into the tunnel, leaving me with just his cap....

My dear son, Michael, will start "big school" in September. Yesterday, all new parents and pupils paid his new school a visit. The parents were to sit through an info session in the hall, and the new pupils were to go into their classroom for an afternoon of play, stories and whatever else.... to sample what was to come, I suppose.

The headteacher introduced herself and then asked our offspring to follow Mrs Davis out of the hall and into the corridor that would lead to their "Reception" classroom. My friend was sitting next to me with her daughter. Her daughter wasn't totally sure that she wanted to follow Mrs Davis out of the hall. "Go on," said her mummy, "perhaps you can hold Michael's hand. Michael. Will you hold hands?" So off he went, one hand holding onto his friend, and most of the other stuck inside his mouth.

(as an aside: how do I stop him with this terrible habit? If it's not his hand in his mouth, it's his sleeve and if it's not his sleeve then it's a cussion/ sofa / chair arm.... anything??).

I was left in the hall with the other parents, holding onto his little cap. My friend next to me was left holding onto her daughter's comforting teddy bear. "Off they go into the tunnel", said my friend. "It's really sad," she added, looking at teddy. "Mmm," I agreed. "Off they go into the tunnel, to emerge age 21, clueless as to what to do next".

But it's a lovely little school. It is very friendly, cosy and calm. The children there are happy, as are the teachers and the parents. It is a C of E school and I am glad that each of his days there will begin with an assembly with some religious content.

Mikey is really ready for this now - he was upset at having to leave the school yesterday and couldn't sleep last night because he is so excited about: his school tie (we had to buy his uniform yesterday); plimsoles and shoe bags; and school dinners. He was also very excited about all of the technical equipment that was in the hall (sound centres and lights and stuff).

All I could think of during the info session though was how similar it was to the ante-natal classes I had attended only the other day - or was it 5 years ago? - mums and dads sitting in a semi-circle and listening. Except now it's school...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny - I don't have this at all about Adam starting school - maybe partly because he's only moving into the room next-door, and he already goes to nursery 3 full days and 2 half days - maybe partly because I'll still have Ruth around.

But I have the nasty feeling that those emotions will jump out and pounce on me in September...

Mir said...

It's so difficult to see them toddle off all independent. Your mind wonders if they will be able to handle it, meanwhile it is your own self that is having the most difficulty with the transition.

I can understand so well. I've been through this 7 times, and it wasn't any easier with the last one than with the first one.

Take heart.. your son holds your words, love, support, and knowledge in handy distance in his mind, and will turn to it when necessary. It was our investment of love in the first 6 - 7 years of their lives that will power them into the future with confidence.

You did a good job, Mom..

Louise said...

Hmm. This is my 4th go at this. I'm no more emotionless than I was the first. Maybe this is a failing, but I see myself as having done the first bit, nourished them, loved them and taught them, sleeping, eating, manners, sharing etc, etc and I accept (somewhat too joyfully perhaps...) that they are ready for the next 'bit', of learning, companionship and fulfillment, eventually.

That all sounds so confident doesn't it? Or blasse perhaps. I too sat through one of 'those' inductions last Friday.

But I'm excited too!

Louise said...

Oh, by the way, that was after two margheritas and a glass of Chateau Neuf du Pape. Sorry if it is incoherent, poorly spellt etc.!