Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Swimming

I've recently started to take Michael swimming on a Saturday morning. I'm not sure which of us hates this more, but when he announced this week that he felt a little too tired to go swimming, I had his trunks, towel, goggles, arm-bands, noodles and floats unpacked and back in the top drawer, and my "teach your child to swim" book back on the shelf, faster than you can say "it's hard to know whether the worst thing about swimming is actually being in the pool, or clambering inelegantly and shiveringly out of it and then attempting to re-dress yourself and son without drenching everything you wear from top to toe". It's impossible to get yourself dry (must be something to do with the humidity) and it's impossible to prevent your clothes from getting wet. Hate it. Always have done. Always will.

Blogging I like. And I think that my blog might be rather like the small, shallow, baby pool that Michael and I use when we can't think of any way of persuading ourselves not to go swimming on a Saturday morning. It has squirty dolphin fountains, bubbles that come up from the floor (at least I presume that's their origin ....), a wave machine and a helter-skelter slidey thing at the side. It's ok for a frolic and a splash about, but if you want to swim some serious lengths, look elsewhere.

Here are three of the fabulous blogs I read when I'm looking for something challenging and thought-provoking; when I want to "swim lengths" instead of lark about (I'm not including commenter's blogs as you can already access those):
www.john.pettigrew.org.uk/blog
www.thedeepend.squarespace.com/journal
www.goodinparts.blogspot.com

and for a giggle:
http://www.cartoonchurch.com/blog/

I haven't asked permission from these people to list their blogs. I'm not sure if you need to ask permission as all blogs can be accessed via links on comments etc. anyway (and I only know one of the writers). They are all either theology-based or include lots of theological posts in them, but that's what I enjoy reading and pondering at the moment.

Happy blogging.

2 comments:

Dave Walker said...

Thanks for listing me. No permission required!

Ruth said...

... I think he's gone now, but that was Dave everyone. Dave off the cartoonblog, commenting on my blog. I'm feeling a bit starstruck!

Take a look at his blog. It's seriously funny - better than Dilbert and The Far Side put together and I think they're funny too.