Thursday, May 04, 2006

OK, if you really want to know...

A number of you* have asked me how the May Fair went on Monday. I was in charge of the children's stalls. Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent to my helpers. I think that it says it all.

(* one actually. But hey, "one" is a number - or it was when I did maths. It was the first of many, if I remember correctly)

Dear helpers

Just a quickie to say a HUGE thank you to you both for yesterday's work at the May Fair. We'd have flopped big time (do people still use the expression "big time"?) without you - my nerves would have caved in had you not been there. Both of you have a very able and calming presence. According to the Treasurer, the Sunday School stalls made something in the region of £500 (after expenses). And that's brilliant.

I've learned some lessons - as you know it was my first time - and I should probably jot these down for next year. I feel a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad compulsion to take the reins on behalf of the Sunday School again next year - if only to improve on this year's performance (which was v. good in that it raised a nice sum of £ but was less good at times for us poor troops running the stalls, frantically searching for toy number 185 on the tombola, and trying to keep people's thieving little hands off the prizes!!). Next year.... no tombola, no guessing games and lots more dippy duck type things (i.e. activities followed by instant gratification). It was the tombola where we incurred all of our major expenses too... I don't watch the programme, but I feel certain that Alan Sugar's verdict would have been "Ruth, you're fired"!

Of course, if anyone else wishes to take responsibility next year, I won't hesitate to graciously allow them the dubious honour, but if the position remains vacant, I'll have a second crack.

Anyway, I have some nice cakey things to give to the Youth Group who deserve an enormous THANK YOU. Without them we'd have folded. Might I suggest, if it is at all possible, that you give the Youth Group a 5 minute de-brief regarding the fair? (You may have already planned this or you may think it a bad idea - please forgive me if I am being either patronising or silly). It's just that we had some rather difficult customers from time to time and I wonder whether they might like to talk any of it over. On the clothes stall, one of my helpers whose name I've forgotten (age 12) felt quite belittled and teased by an older customer (may be 12 - 13 - 14 years old) who goes to her school and who was quibbling about prices. I, needless to say, put my foot in it (sometimes feel my foot's never out of it...) by quoting the customer's price as the correct one, not realising that she'd been quibbling with my colleague. It was embarrassing and I think that she was a bit hurt. There's no need to single her out at all (as it could make things worse) but it might be worth a general discussion.

Hope this makes sense, if not, please feel free to ignore, or ring me!

Finally, I'd like to write a note of thanks for Sunday School parents whichI'll hand out on Sunday. Those who helped on stalls were fantastic AND it's extremely hard if not impossible to volunteer to run these stalls when you have little children who need looking after at the same time. The donations of clothes and toys were first class this year.

Best wishes

Ruth

No comments: