Friday, May 12, 2006

Ing-er-land, Ing-er-land, Ing-er-land

I do not like to see very young children wearing football T-shirts, be they for Ing-er-land or any other team. To me, it smacks of a "you will wear my opinion" approach to parenting.

I suspect that you might respond to me on this in one of three ways. Actually, no, I'll rephrase that: one of many ways. And here are three of them:

1) Lighten up Ruth. It's just a bit of fun. No-one's forcing any opinions on anyone or anything else. They're just getting into the spirit of the game and hoping that their young offspring will pick up on some happy vibes.

2) Get serious Ruth. This is not just a game you know. Football's a matter of blah blah life or death blah blah 1066 blah blah all over it is now blah blahGermany blah blah

3) Will you stop blogging about children and parenting please. It's boring for those of us with kids; it's even more boring for those without. And if you're going to get on your high horse about something, can't you make it something really important and then actually do something about it instead of sitting there spouting....

And my response to that would be "well I have done something about something important actually. This very day. I've made a complaint at the Tesco Customer Service Desk about all the cars who were parked in the parent and child parking spaces with no children on board (having been beaten into the last available space by such a vehicle).

What? Is that not what you had in mind...?

3 comments:

Louise said...

I don't like it either, I'm from the "What's the point in 24 grown men running round a field kicking a ball?" group.
Now, if it was rugby... Still don't understand the game, but there's something better than 'pretty boys' to look at.

I suddenly realised yesterday when I took Conall to Tesco that he has expired. Pants!

Anonymous said...

"I've made a complaint at the Tesco Customer Service Desk about all the cars who were parked in the parent and child parking spaces with no children on board"

Good on yer!

BTW, if you want to ask something, send an email. I might even write a blog post in reply :-) I hope you didn't mind walking into the valley of wild Calvinists over at my blog. Hammer is quite nice, really!

pax et bonum

Mir said...

Oh dear.. Football / Soccer team T shirts? I gather that this could be a problem if spirits, and loyalties run high in your part of the world. In my area, no one really notices what team your T shirt announces.

I have issues with T shirts that say rude things that demean others such as "I'm with stupid", or something like that. I also dislike shirts that show forth violent images like death skulls with fire all around them, and guess what kind of shirt my best friend bought my teenaged son for his birthday.. yes.. a death skull with flames surrounding it.. sheesh. He loved it.

Oooo.. I REALLY dislike the latest fashion where the teen girls ( hopefully not my 17 year old sweetums ) wear shirts that do not cover their shoulders, nor their belly button.. it's just a strip of cloth over the bumpy parts. YEESH! So far, when my daughter walks out of her room, all of her torso is covered.