Sunday, May 07, 2006

Head Banging

Dear all,

Answer me this: am I the only one to follow this routine after accidentally banging my head? First, I think unprintable thoughts along the lines of **** it all, who put that there? ****, ****, ****** that hurt. Then I check that I've not done untold damage to the old grey cells by reciting a times table (to myself; in silence). Can I still manage the 4 times? Yes, even the tricky middle bit, so I must be ok. You never know, I may even have "knocked a bit of sense into my head".... but I have to wait to see whether that's so, and to date: nope.

I suspect that everyone follows the same thought processes after a blow to the old nut, but I can't be sure. I've never really given it much thought. Until now, I've never mentioned it to anyone. And it's a silent routine so no-one's queried the habit in me. However, I now have offspring who ocassionally bang heads. And I have a compulsion to follow the same neurotic pattern with them - at least the older one. (It doesn't work unless and until they can talk). "Ouch", cries Michael as he plays a little too vigorously at the local playground. "Ok Michael?" says a concerned mummy. And then I can't stop myself. The 4 times table's no good. He's too young for that. It has to be more of a: "look at those flowers over there Michael. Tell mummy what colours you can see..."

Phew, he's ok.

But am I? Am I?

3 comments:

Louise said...

Well, one of us is perhaps a little different, but I'm not suggesting it's you!
Having walked into the edge of the kitchen door, in the dark, whilst snaffling mini-brownies (deserved it then!) I still had the presence of mind to give David the one I dropped.
There was only two and two mini-brownies between four is little more than a handful of crumbs. That's my defence and I'm sticking to it.
Cracking black eye. Had a hell of a job convincing people David hadn't walloped me. He hadn't, honest!

Anonymous said...

I'm just sitting here cracking up (in more ways than one) about why you're suddenly thinking about head-banging...

No, I'm even crazier - I try very hard to turn back time until the moment just before I bashed my head when I still had control over my destiny - it hasn't worked yet - I guess the time it does will be the sign that something is really wrong...

Anne said...

V pretty egg btw.