Thursday, May 25, 2006

London: A Large Village Surrounded by Beautiful Countryside

That's what the estate agents would have us believe if they could. Have a read of Louise's life-style up there in Scotland www.gemini-scotblog.blogspot.com In her most recent post she describes how she drops the children off from school and then goes bird-watching for half a hour or so before getting on with her day. This sounds idyllic to me.

I could not believe it when I first came to London (having spent my teenage years in the middle of nowhere, 12 miles from the nearest town) that people would pay a hefty, and I mean HEFTY, premium down here to live in a house that did its best to pretend to be in the middle of nowhere - e.g. on the edge of Wimbledon Common. And people called part of Wimbledon (where I lived at first) Wimbledon Village. Village???? It's in the middle of one of the largest conurbations in the world.

This morning I took a drive to one of London's satellite towns (which the estate agent's brochure also describes as a village!!!!) to look at a brand new 4 bedroomed house. This house is tucked away amongst a load of other new-builds, each of its rooms as tiny as they can possibly be without totally preventing you from exhaling. It'll cost comeone half a million notes to live there. They'll save themselves ten-thou if they opt for the identical house opposite, as that one does not enjoy a view of the "river": green swampy canal with corrugated iron sides to it. Oh, and there's a footpath nearby, through one field. So this location is almost rural....

Apparently where we live now is "semi rural", according to the estate agents. But we're on the Piccadilly Line! Twenty minutes from here and you're into Central London!!

What price a view, eh?

2 comments:

Louise said...

Me thinks for the lifestyle you need to relocate. Half a million notes up here? That'll get you 5+ beds (one en-suite), two receps, kitchen diner, utility, family bath and land. I mean at least an acre, not to mention the view...
Not that I have all that. Military quarters are a bit of a let down, but it's all close at hand and I have aspirations of a country lifestyle. One day!

Ruth said...

'ang on a mo. Why am I looking at 500k showhomes? Is it:
a) cos I can afford to buy one, or
b) cos I'm soooo desperate a housewife that I occasionally look round them and dream about living in them?

I'll leave you to decide.

And if you haven't tried it you really must - ask to be shown round a second time and say "this time with the huge mirrors removed from the walls and the lights switched off please!"