Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Four Year Old Plus Camera Equals...



If you ask me, the incidentals in an old photo are every bit as fascinating as the main subject. So, when I see photos of myself as a baby in the '60s I am as interested in the old-style car, oxo-tin or flower-power kitchen tiles in the background as I am in the podgy-cheeked toddler, gazing with some suspicion at the camera, in the foreground.

I love the photos that Michael takes because they usually feature as their main subject some random object that would normally be consigned to the blurred edges of a snap, if it were lucky. Here is a selection of his latest works, which I shall entitle "The Back Garden" (although many contain details from next door's back-garden - he must have stood on a chair and leant over the fence to take them).







6 comments:

Louise said...

A true artist in the making!

Be VERY grateful these snaps don't include some of the 'random objects' that some of Ciara and Aedan's photos did...

Ruth said...

Snigger - I can but guess!!

I love the photo. how did you do that? I want one!!!! That shade of blue really suits you and I love the lists that also appear to feature on the photo. I think we should start a "photo of your fridge" meme - mine is COVERED in bits of paper, each of which is TERRIBLY IMPORTANT.

Anonymous said...

This is sooo cool - you've given me an idea of what to do with Adam tomorrow - send him round _our_ garden with the camera. (With careful supervision, of course...)

Louise said...

This photo?
You have NO idea how long it has taken me to figure THAT one out! Talk about a blonde moment... But eventually, on reading the destructions in the 'edit profile' bit VERY CAREFULLY and slowly, for the hundredth time, I managed to follow them. Upload photo to a new post, don't publish it, got to edit HTML (or whatever the tab says) just copy, go back to edit profile, paste into URL bit and save changes. Or something like that.
Oops, taken over your comment spot, again!
And lists! I have a few... Like muchly the fridge photo idea.

Becky G said...

Wow, he has a good eye. Those are great photos.

Rejoice In Your Knowledge said...

The tap needs laging!