Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Urban Jungle

Today, whilst walking down the road, I saw a fox. It ran across the road ahead of me. "Did you see that fox?" I asked Michael (age 4), who was with me. "A fox?" he replied. "Without its owner?" Sometimes they surprise you with what they know; at other times they surprise you with what they've yet to learn....

The fox then re-emerged and ran really quickly up the opposite pavement. I was a little scared. It didn't look like your standard fox - it was smaller, leaner, had a white tail-end and its nose was odd. I wondered if it might be a jackal. Sometimes I surprise myself with what I know; at other times I surprise myself with what I've yet to learn...

And spell-check that jackal. Oh, I was right. And publish.

P.S. Are foxes dangerous?

3 comments:

Louise said...

No, as a general rule, a fox is not dangerous. It is an unusual privilege to see a fox, especially in daylight, but in urban foxes, perhaps slightly less so.

They will run away, as demonstated, rather than have a confrontation, unless cornered/injured/sick.

Might have been a youngster, hence it's slightly small appearance, or perhaps a ragged, scrawny vixen, after a long summer of providing for a demanding litter. We can all sympathise with that one!

Am I sounding pompous again? Sorry!

Ruth said...

Louise - not pompous at all, just very up on foxes!

It's reasuring to know that foxes are dangerous to humans as there are loads of them round here (foxes and humans!!). My mother in law blames the number of foxes on our proximity to the railway line. She says that the railway brings them here - although I've never shared a carriage with one. Be-dum, tsk.

Rainbow dreams said...

we don't get foxes here - would love for the kids to see one, though I'm sure they'd mistake it for a dog!
come to think of it I haven't seen one for some time either.. :-)