Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The moment I've been waiting for

I always thought that if I became overweight, I'd have no problem whatsoever in simply slimming down. In fact, I thought that it would be a great opportunity to do something positive for myself: to go from being "fat" to being "thin". I didn't put too much thought into how I'd achieve this, but I guessed that eating less and exercising more should do the trick.

So now that my moment has arrived and I'm not happy with my weight, why am I going on and on about it and not taking any action? It really is the case now that "I only have to look at a cream cake and I pile on the pounds". It's time for me to give myself that positive, life-changing experience that I'd always thought would be so easy, and I keep putting it off until tomorrow and going on and on about it.

I realised the other evening, as I looked at my profile in the mirror (it's my tummy that seems to attract the fat), that I should start by thinking less of a "major change in lifestyle" and more of "a bit of tweaking here and there". I'm not enormous - I just look four months pregnant (I'm just waiting for someone to congratulate me and ask me when it's due). I hope I'm not four months pregnant. no. I can't be. Blimey. No. I'm definitely not pregnant.

OK blog. Here's what I'm going to do:
1) eradicate saturated fat from my diet (unless it occurs with "good fats" like in olive oil and oily fish) - so no crisps, chocolates, biscuits, cakes, quiches, cheese etc,.
2) only ever use the car if we are going further than 1.5 miles
3) this is where I start to think 'it's not going to happen', so I'm going to be careful with this one: sit-ups and press-ups each day (undisclosed number) - I'm a firm believer in not joining gyms - you can do all the exercise you need without props.

Right. We'll stick at that for now. I'm not going to weigh myself (10 and a half stone on Anne's "generous" scales the other day - so perhaps nearer 11 stone really). I'm just going to hope that my waistline reappears.

I'm hoping that having committed myself in writing to these resolutions, I might stick to them.

I might not even keep you posted, as it's a boring topic of conversation really!

8 comments:

Louise said...

Very positive first step, I applaud you and will continue to cheer from the side lines while I try not to put mine all back on!

Twenty-two months ago, I weighed twelve stone four pounds, in fact, as much as my husband. I had been overweight for a little while, it fluctuated and not only because of being a baby factory, but after Conall, I just forgot to eating because I was pregnant and/or breastfeeding.

I followed a healthy eating plan I found in Mum's old favourite, Family Circle, but essentially, (and luckily for me) it wasn't the food I was eating that was bad, just the amount. I didn't actually do any 'excercise' at the time, beyond living, really, I didn't, but I try to do a 30 minute walk 3-4 times a week in term time now, just to help a bit.

Now, I fluctuate between about nine stone 10 and ten stone 5, but I'm happy and have found I can now easily adjust things if I feel the need.

One word of advice, don't vow to give up all your little treats. You'll end up craving them more than ever and then binge on them, getting into a viscous circle. I always allowed myself the occasionally few squares of 72% plain choccy, which I adore, and 1 or 2 glasses of wine, once or twice a week, so you don't feel deprived.

And above all, don't run yourself down. Tweeking doesn't hurt, but you are beautiful and don't forget it!

Here endeth the gospel according to saint louise...

Louise said...

'forgot to stop eating' that should read. Should always check before publishing...

Ruth said...

Thank you for the advice. I didn't realise you'd been through this too. I do think that having babies doesn't help the waistline (I mean AFTER they're born. I mean...

Anyhow, yes, you'll have noticed that avoiding alcohol does NOT appear in my three-point plan. Mmm. Well, it doesn't contain saturated fat. And red wine's good for you. And...

To be quite frank, and ever so slightly pathetic, I need a little bit of something nice at 7.30 in the evening when the children are in bed. I do have a rule now though: no alcohol mid-week (and sometimes that seems to mean no alcohol on a Tuesday or Wednesday, but what it should mean (and I'm getting there) is no alcohol Mon - Thurs (inclusive)!

Louise said...

Yeah, we have the Mon-Thurs rule. We tend to fail miserably...! Will power has never been my strong point.

Sarah said...

I'm with you. I used to be constantly active and thin, but after leaving uni I put on loads of weight and have never really managed toget rid of it. I weigh 13st 8lbs, which is a heft amount more than I'd like, and I actually do get congratulated on my pregnancy as my fat all congregates on my belly. I think I would feel healthier if I lost some weight - I think it's quite tiring and unpleasant stuff sits in all the fat. I planned to do lots of exercise and eat healthily this summer but that's all out of the window now I've broken my ankle - though I do try not to eat too much as I just sit on my sofa all day!

Anonymous said...

I will come back and check in once this baby is born (next week!!!!) and start thinking of eating less. I don't gain weight pregnant but then breastfeeding I do. It's hard to change BACK from all that pregnancy eating (which tends, for me, to be fairly healthy, unlike when I'm not...) to eating for "just one" again.

Mir said...

Good for you! I support your desire to live a healthy lifestyle. Be careful to try to keep your mind in a positive zone. Make healthy changes to your diet that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Anonymous said...

Just got back from holiday (we loved Blackpool :-)) so chipping in rather late with this one.

I find that two things really help with fighting the Evening Munchies Monster - 1) knitting (no, I'm not joking, I don't want sticky fingers all over my yarn) and 2) allowing myself a small snack before I go to bed. That way I don't get frantic about not having anything to eat all evening, it's just "not yet" - but I only end up having one snack rather than the five or six I would have if I started earlier.