Monday, July 10, 2006

Feeling A Bit Left Out Today

Well, you see, I'm the only one in this household who didn't win the World Cup yesterday. My husband, Mario, is, well, Italian. Therefore our children are half Italian and I'm English and useless at football.

BUT, I could become half-Italian by virtue of our marriage. A bit of form-filling (yeah right) and I'd be there. I'd never really considered this until recently (when England were knocked out of the World Cup and Italy weren't, if I'm honest). "Get me sorted!" I said to Mario, "Immediately!" Wow. I was to become half-Italian. I really liked the sound of that.

And then I went off the idea. I went to bed that evening and, with my head resting on the pillow, realised that this was not a good idea at all. It didn't feel right. Not one bit. Why? My reason for nudging Mario awake and saying "forget it, I don't want to be half-Italian after all... and by the way sorry for waking you up -I know you've an early start tomorrow" had nothing to do with my feelings about Italy, Italians or being Italian, but more to do with how very English I feel and how not at all Italian I feel. I realised, there and then, that my country has shaped me, to some extent, and that Italy hasn't (I mean that's not surprising - I'd never been there until 6 years ago). Now, if we were to move to Italy and I were to start feeling influenced by the fact that I lived there, then that would be different.

Anyway, here are some of my favourite things about England (I am not going to list my least favourite things - not today). I'm going to be honest here. I'm not going to include things that I feel I should include but actually know nothing about, like "great works of art":

1) London - magnificent buildings (like the Law Courts on the Strand, where I worked for a time), tiny networks of roads and alleys around St Pauls - all Dickensian in their Geography, theatres, museums, parks, shops, wine bars in cellars. Favourite bit of London? Probably Green Park / Victoria.

2) Historic buildings and all that come with them (including cream teas in their "tea rooms" and lavender bags in their gift shops - can't remember the last time I purchased either of those, but I just like to know that they are there) - so we're talking Windsor castle, Warwick Castle, etc. etc.

3) Yorkshire - well, you know, it's where my roots lie. I know that for a fact. I've studied my family tree.

4) proximity to loads of other great and very diverse countries - (including Wales and Scotland, of course)

Just going to pause here. This is quite difficult. I do not want to have to save this in draft. I NEVER do that. I MUST publish it. but I might come back and change it. I'm in danger of two things with this post:

i) sounding patriotic in a right wing sort of a way - don't want that. It's always difficult to talk about good things in England for fear of sounding like a total nationalist

ii) producing a list of twee "English" things that feature heavily in any holiday brochure aimed at enticing Americans to come over (I assume) but that actually never feature in the life of anyone who actually lives here.

OK - let's swiftly finish this post:

5) Coronation Street

6) Radio 4

7) The Times letters page - but only the amusing letter that they always publish at the bottom right

8) M&S food

9) This tiny and very ancient church in Wales that I fell in love with - worthy of a post all of its own. You have to walk through fields to reach it and it sits in a small round Norman churchyard. I'll do a proper post about it, one day. Actually it was the church where my father took his last service on Easter Day 2003.

But that's not in England, Ruth. Oh crumbs. Let's leave it there. I've strayed over the border. That must mean I've reached the end of a very uninspiring list of things that are good about England!!!

Right. I'm off to get meself a nice cuppa tea.

Tattie-bye.

Oooh, hang on:

10) History. Especially 18th century social and economic history and places you can visit to explore relics of that, first hand - e.g. Manchester, Ironbridge.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you go to the ill-fated dome? John and I did - and the only thing I can really remember is the exhibit of lots of pictures of things people love about Britain (I'm pretty sure it was Britain rather than England) - including Marmite, and red pillar boxes, and all sorts of other quirky things.

Bother, got to go - more to say on this one though.

Hammertime said...

I'm in danger of two things with this post:

i) sounding patriotic in a right wing sort of a way - don't want that. It's always difficult to talk about good things in England for fear of sounding like a total nationalist


Ruth,
We have the same problem in the US. Being proud of the good in your country (even while acknowledging the bad) often gets us labeled as jingoistic by those who despise our nation. I'm glad you are proud of England - I am too!

Ruth said...

Anne - I'm on tenterhooks (is that how you spell tenterhooks and what are they?)

Hammertime - thank you!

Mir said...

Wow.. you've inspired me.. let's see if I can think of some Good things about Canada. It's a little difficult to mention landmarks because I haven't travelled outside of my own city, but here goes:

1) The miles, and miles of wilderness filled with life, lakes, and sky stretching out for hours and hours of driving in any direction! Astounding!

2) The joy, friendiness, and constancy of festivals, sometimes more than one during the week.

3) The "clean" breath of fresh tree scented air in the mornings as you jog through the plentiful park trails.

4) The "honk" of Canada geese flying over your house in the spring/fall, the chittering of squirrels, cooing of doves, and tweeting of songbirds surrounding you in the city.

Ruth said...

Well I absolutely adored Canada when we went there on honeymoon. As I've mentioned before, I was especially taken aback by how friendly each and every person we met was - a bus driver really sicks out in my mind: "you don't have the correct change? That's no problem. You just pay twice on the return journey. Hop aboard and I'll tell you when we've reached your stop". You could've knocked me down with a feather.