Saturday, July 15, 2006

Cutting Remarks

I would like to have long hair. My hair has never been long. It's fine hair and, as it grows, it's gets untidy. So I have it trimmed. And then sometimes I have it cut short.

I want my daughter (19 months) to have long hair. Sadly for her, she's inherited my hair. It's fine and fly-away. She had her second trim yesterday.

Now, hairdressers tell me that in order to grow hair, you need to have it trimmed regularly. But I once knew someone, when I worked at the Science Museum, whose hair went from being quite short to being quite long within the space of a year. "How do you do that?" I asked her. "You don't have it cut," she replied. And she was clever. She had a degree from Cambridge University. She should know.

Long haired people past and/or present: how do you do it?

4 comments:

Mir said...

How to grow long hair:

a) Do not overwash the hair. In fact, you can actually let your hair go for 3 or 4 days without washing to allow the natural oils to cover the hair. Use a bristle boar brush to distribute these oils over your hair. When you do wash your hair, do not pile it on your head. Start from the scalp, and then work the shampoo down the hair to the bottom. Make sure that you use conditioner to keep the hair healthy.

b) It helps to keep the hair controlled with ponytails, barretts, and other hair aides so that you do not sit on the hair, or damage it in other ways. No elastics, or metal barretts.. anything that tears your hair is not good.

c) Trim the last couple of inches (centimeters) now and then to lower the amount of split ends, and even the bottom. Don't cut it short.

d) Do not dry your hair with heat (hair dryer) or use hot appliances on your hair ( curling irons). Dry your hair gently by squeezing the hair with a towel, and/or let it air dry.

e) Be gentle when removing tangles from your hair. Brush your hair frequently to stimulate the hair follicles, but always be gentle.

Here are some more technical advice on growing healthy long hair:

http://www.boloji.com/women/02001.htm

Ruth said...

Thank you for his - I'm certainly washing my hair too frequently and incorrectly. I shall visit the website.

Whilst I'm keen to grow my hair long, I'm even keener for my daughter to enjoy the long hair I never had. Of course, as soon as she's able to choose she'll want it short. THAT goes without saying!

Louise said...

Never really achieved long hair successfully. Have been described as a spaniel when long and permed, not flattering!

Beautiful, long, flowing, blond locks are gorgeous. I found I had to to accept the inevitable and found an excellent hairdresser, (a bloke, English, wears a kilt and isn't gay!) and he has inspired me with the best cut I've ever had and colour when I feel like it. Taken me years to accept that I can't do long hair, however much I'd love to!

(Think underskirts...)

You're beautiful.

Ruth said...

"Think underskirts" - I laughed!