Saturday, November 04, 2006

Loads of Stuff - well two things actually.

One of the best things about our house is that from the upstairs back room window, we can see for miles and miles. I love a view, me. We can see right over to Docklands - and Canary Wharf. This is especially good when fireworks abound. We've watched a whole load of spectaculars this evening - and stayed warm at the same time!

The time has come, the walrus said, for me to actively boycott supermarkets. There is so much about them that I dislike. Sadly, though, it has now reached the point, in this part of London, at least, where to boycott supermarkets leaves you with few other outlets in which to shop.

I used to say that the redeeming feature of supermarkets was that they offered you a great choice and range of food - ingredients from around the world - sushi nori is hard to find in the corner shop. But that argument doesn't hold water.

Deep in the midsts of Wales, where mother lives, there is but one small branch of a crumby supermarket - plus a health food shop which sells sushi nori and a good deal else), an iron mongers, a butchers, a bakers, a new-agey-nic-nacky shop (which sells Welsh love spoons and I want one), a great bookshop, plant shops - etc. Choice abounds in that town - far more than here; the staff who work in these shops are happier because they get to chat to each other and to you - they can even have a lovely cup of coffee and serve at the same time.

Yeap - supermarkets not only provide a disservice to us customers, they're a mind-numbing hell on earth for those who scan there.

(See, L and A? I'm still off that fence)!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Am I first? (This is a sign that you have blog stalkers, when inane people start getting terribly excited about commenting first...)

Anonymous said...

I love living places where you have spectacular views for free - when I still lived at my parents' house (I think you visited their previous one with the view of a golf course, rather than their current one?) if you opened my bedroom window and risked life, limb and hypothermia leaning out of it, there was a wonderful view of the Liverpool skyline - including 2 cathedrals - and the fireworks on the waterfront were amazing.

Oh supermarkets. I'm afraid that I mostly feel very grateful that our nearest one (and only one within walking distance) is Waitrose. They're all bad, but Waitrose is less bad than the rest - and apparently the miles that people drive to and from the shops have more environmental impact than the air-miles of transporting beans from Kenya etc. We do try to buy local produce as much as possible - we went through a spell of being really good at one of us cycling into town before church on a Sunday to buy from the organic Farmers' Market stall. But it's cold these days...

Anonymous said...

I can't give a really pleasing comment on this one. As you all know, little-man(or woman)-in-van delivers our weekly groceries, but at least we buy all our vegetables, beef and eggs at the local farm shop, which is only a mile away.

I would much rather buy from the little local shops, like my mum did when I was a child.

Well, no, actually. Mum did a strange mix of shopping. M&S (it's not just food, it's M&S food...) for some food items on a Thursday lunch time, followed by a quick spin round Denis's butchers, Hansons bread shop, McNamara's local supermarket, then Tate's local supermarket, not to mention Gladwin's chemist, after school on a Friday.

Looking back at it know, it seems a bit odd, I'm still not sure how it all came about, but it seemes normal at the time!

Ooops. Yup I'm back on my fence and taking your post off at a tangent all in one comment. The talents of this woman astound me!

x

Anonymous said...

Oh, views. Actually, haven't got anything spectacular from here, even if you crane your neck a bit out of the girls' bedroom to see the Abbey, it's all a bit flat round here. (Yes, we have flat bits in Scotland. Just not when you need one!) I do get some lovely views of buzzards sailing overhead when I'm hanging out the washing, or just lounging in my lounge, sometimes.

I will have views in my next house and you can all come to see them!

Anonymous said...

Seemes? It's early on a Sunday...

Mary Beth said...

Ah, views. We used to live in downtown Chicago on the 23rd floor. We had a spectacular view of Lake Michigan and Lake Shore Drive. And we were right next to Lincoln Park...the tops of the trees in Autumn were so beautiful. I guess I can't complain now, though. My view now consists of lots of trees and fields. I can barely see the street from any window, so that's nice.

I would love to boycott supermarkets. Here in the US, unless you live in a big city, it's hard to find those mom-and-pop stores. And if you do find them you have to drive miles and miles to get to them. In Chicago, my husband used to shop in the restaurant district, and that was nice. But here we only have two choices, and I don't like either of them. Good for you for your boycott!