Friday, January 05, 2007

I'm not really here. I'm somewhere over the rainbow.

This week, I am passionate about Hollywood 1900 -1950. I have read a biography of Louis Mayer (of MGM) and last evening, after a pretty grotty day, I sat up and watched my newly acquired DVD of Easter Parade, starring Judy Garland and Fred Astair. And now I want my house to look like the set of an MGM movie and I want to wear beautiful Judy Garland clothes and to have an Easter bonnet, and to break into song next time someone accidentally bumps into me in Asdas and things....

I have always taken films slightly too seriously. I really expected, having seen Grease in 1979, that my life at secondary school (which began that same year) would be something along the lines of the Sandy and Danny experience. I could not understand why the boys at my school were the same height as me, or smaller, wore anoraks instead of leathers and looked about 11 - 16 years old. Reality was a bit of a let-down. It was a long time before I learned that some of the cast of Grease were actually in their late-20s and 30s when they took the parts of 17 / 18 year olds!

Perched on top of the telly, I have two more DVDs to enjoy: 'The Big Sleep' (thanks again Catherine!!) and 'Meet me in St Louis" ,which I adore. But this evening, I treated myself and my dear son to a bit of Laurel and Hardy. I'd tried Laurel and Hardy on him before and he wasn't really ready. But this evening, he 'got it'and was laughing his little socks off. Great! This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

4 comments:

Louise said...

And my hills are alive!

I'm so glad not to be the only mother, boldly bringing her children up with an enormous dose of her own nostalgia.

Ciara is devoted to The Sound of Music. She has the DVD and the soundtrack on CD.

My Fair Lady was on over Christmas and I was in seventh heaven. Meals were organised around it.

We've had Grease on DVD for sometime now, but that has made me realise how naive I was at the time. I was smitten by John, the leathers, the girls whirly skirts, everything and totally missed the sexual side and possible pregnancy issues.

Just hope my girls are both so innocent...

Louise said...

Love the photograph of Michael, btw. There something distinctly Ruth about him. Gorgeous!

Ruth said...

I love the Sound of Music - although I find it so intensely sad and exhilharating, all at the same time, that I can't watch it too often.

Do you remember going to see Grease with Helen? I still keep in touch with Helen on a Christmas card basis.

Louise said...

Yes, I do remember that. How lovely you're still in touch!