Saturday, December 30, 2006

We've had ourselves a merry little Christmas


.. actually, it seemed to begin in October this year - with the baking of this. It was fed fortnightly with brandy, and iced in time for a little do that we hosted here on the evening of the 23rd Dec.
Next year, I shall feed my Christmas cake each week - it needed more! At least, that's what we all thought at 1.30 am, as our little do came to an end....!
(My photos of the iced cake have yet to be developed, I'm afraid).
And now, two nativity plays, three 'nine lessons and carols' and one visit from Santa later, it's all over and we're looking ahead to 2007. I've no new year's resolutions - I do resolve to do new things or call a halt to doing old things from time to time - but not necessarily at the turn of the year.
Things I'm really looking forward to in 2007 are:
- having Isabel all to myself for one more year (she'll begin half-days at nursery in a year's time)
- visiting friends and family
- reading to myself (current interest is the 'Golden Age of Hollywood')
- reading to Isabel (current favourite is 'The Tiger who came to Tea')
- reading to Michael (he had 'Fantastic Mister Fox' for Christmas - looking forward to re-living that one)!!
.... and tomorrow...
- going to the aeroplane museum.
I LOVE museums, I really do - places that house old stuff. I love the smell of the old stuff, and the dim lighting and wondering what the old stuff would say if it could talk. (Now I sound as I've been ON the brandy, and I haven't, so, on that note, I'll sign off and see what all the noise upstairs is about, and try not to add to it (sounds very much as if one of the children has emptied a very large box of something all over the landing....)


5 comments:

Louise said...

Now that does sound like a merry little Christmas!

We had a good one too, with way too much alcohol and nibbley bits (as my hips and bum are shouting at me...!) nice and quiet and with just the right amount of religion, tradition and magic. Fab!

As for New Year? (Hogmanay I should be calling it, but I'm a foreigner in these parts) I'm with you, I don't make resolutions as such on the day, but I know that there will be a few things changed as the year goes on, we'll see what happens that forces me to make those decisions.

Have a really excellent one, and if we don't manage it before hand, lets try to plan something together for our 40s? That would be good.

Much love
xxxx

Louise said...

PS. The cake looks smashing.
Fancy Saturday Kitchen? Fight you for James though...x

Mary Beth said...

Glad you and yours had a Merry Little Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Glad for your merry days...my whole month of Christmas is nearly over and shall be after celebrating little adam's baptism tomorrow, and then a few nerdy friends for New Year's with us and the in laws tomorrow night.
Happy days for all, and to all a good night. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year (or Yera as my fingers prefer to call it).

Ooooh - Only a year 'til Isabel starts half days. Noooo!!! (Says the mother whose tiny tiny baby starts nursery one afternoon a week next Monday - can't be true that she's going to be 3 in April.)

And she's just come through munching on a rice cake to announce that it's time for her bath. I'd better go.