Saturday, October 28, 2006

These are a few of my least favourite things

Had a good day yesterday. I took my son to central London and we went to a concert for 5 - 12 year olds at the Royal Albert Hall (called Making Tracks). It was absolutely fantastic to hear the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing the theme tunes from Superman, Doctor Who, Harry Potter and The Can Can. Not sure what Michael made of it, but I loved it!

We then managed three museums before getting home ahead of the rush hour(!) One of these was the Science Museum - a mixed pleasure for me, as I used to work there and wasn't terribly happy. I remembered, as we gazed at old household items in glass cases, how vacuum cleaners used to frighten me as a child - there were some from the 40s (like my Grandma had) and the 60s (like my Mum had), and they do look pretty scary. I then remembered my other childhood fear: the window cleaner - especially if you happened to look at the window to find him there unexpectedly.... you remember him, don't you, Louise!!

Nowadays, there are two things that freak me out. The first is unexpectedly encountering a very tall building - like the time I alighted the tube at Westminster, reached ground level only to find Big Ben towering immediately above me (or whatever it's called). The second is unexpectedly coming across a large lake of still water - like looking over a wall and expecting to see a field, but instead seeing a reservoir (ugh, just thinking about it....).

My mother lives in Wales, not a million miles away from a heap of reservoirs and, yes, you've guessed it, during periods of drought the steeple from a church that lies within one of the flooded valleys can be seen above water level.....

AAaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts are always such a treat. They take me away from my own worries and fears by making me smile. In a sympathetic way, honestly!

Was the window cleaner called Dave, a man of few teeth? I think it was Dave.

As I lived there longer, I got to know him better, (a tad worrying perhaps) and he was actually a simple, but quite sweet chap. He had a very nasty accident before he had to give up washing windows, he fell off his ladder and broke his leg badly when some boys threw stones at him. The real shame of it was he loved his job, it was his social life.

The concert sounds fab!

I always said I would never marry a man called Dave/David, it was too 'common'. Got that wrong then...

Ruth said...

I feel really sorry that David had to stop after being knocked off his ladder. I had nothing against David per se - it was just seeing him at the window unexpectedly - once it happened whilst I was on the loo!

I do remember that he knew all of our names and ages - and always had a smile!

I hadn't imagined I'd ever marry someone by the name of Mario, truth be known!!